Erica Williams, J.D. – 2022 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
Erica Williams, J.D.
TRAITS OF AWARD WINNERS
- She has been the driving force to create a culture of excellence, innovation, and inclusion. If she is a vendor, she has helped to develop the technologies and solutions that will empower organizations to be more productive and profitable.
- She is one of the top leaders in the accounting profession and her leadership has had a demonstrable effect upon the accomplishments of the organization with which she is associated.
- She is a mentor, sponsor, and a role model, someone who stands out in her ability to encourage and help those around her thrive and flourish.
- The work she does is influential and is having a positive impact on the accounting profession as a whole.
What do you feel is the most important issue facing the accounting profession today?
The decrease in the number of students choosing to major in accounting is one of the most important issues facing the profession. The PCAOB’s internship and scholarship programs help to address these issues by providing internship opportunities and funding to students majoring in accounting.
What one thing would you recommend accountants do to prepare for the future?
I would recommend that accountants stay abreast of the continued evolution of technology and its effect on the profession. This includes both the advancement of accounting information systems used by financial statement preparers and the various technological tools being developed to assist accounting firms in conducting audits and performing other services. The profession has experienced rapid advances in these areas already, and I expect we will continue to see further developments. Having the skills to assess, understand, and use these technologies will be instrumental as accountants navigate their careers.
What one skill or experience would you recommend that young women getting started in the accounting profession master?
I recommend women entering accounting proceed with confidence in their ability to rise to the highest level of the profession. I am the first women to lead the PCAOB, and I lead the most diverse Board in the history of the organization, which includes three women. I look forward to the future generation of women continuing to assume leadership roles in the profession.
Read more about the 2022 Most Powerful Women in Accounting Winners.
- Accounting Firm Advisory and Defense - Practices
- Gibson Dunn Launches Accounting Firm Advisory and Defense…
- Apple Growth Partners Begins 2022 with Forbes List,…
- What Are the Key Differences Between Forensic Accounting and…
- Three Anchin Leaders Named to Crain's New York Business'…
- How to know when accounting firms need to hire full-time DEI…